Monday, August 22, 2011

Motives & Why They Matter


God has been really laying this on my heart lately and so I'm going to share with you what he has been teaching me.

Motive -something that causes a person to act in a certain way or do a certain thing, the goal or object of a person's actions

Motivation - incentive, drive

We all have them- Did you ever volunteer somewhere or do something just because there was going to be cute single guys there? I know that I'm guilty of that. It never once crossed my mind that it was wrong either. I always thought guys having problems and struggling when the bible talked about wrong motives.  So maybe this is just all new to me... Maybe I am just late to pick up on this but it really hit me hard the other week. What are my motives and are they controling me? I surely don't want to have the wrong motives.

People may be pure in their own eyes, but the LORD examines their motives. Proverbs 16:2

Therefore, because we realize how greatly the Lord is to be feared, we are endeavouring to win men over, and God recognizes what our motives are, and I hope that you, in your hearts, recognize them too. 2 Corinthians 5:11

For the reason for our boasting is this--the testimony of our own conscience that it was in holiness and with pure motives before God, and in reliance not on worldly wisdom but on the gracious help of God, that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and above all in our relations with you. 2 Corinthings 1:12

Therefore form no premature judgements, but wait until the Lord returns. He will both bring to light the secrets of darkness and will openly disclose the motives that have been in people's hearts; and then the praise which each man deserves will come to him from God. 1 Corinthians 4:5


Idolic Motives- Our motives normally start out innocently but can become idols. What drives us many times is our idols, even if we don't want them to control us. Spending time involved in those idols turns them into our motivation and before we know it, we're hooked with motivations that aren't God-honoring or pleasing.

You must not have any other gods but me. Exodus 20:3

Selfish Motives- This basically fits into the other categories but when I came across this verse it really stuck out to me. We get frustrated with God time and time again cause he doesn't give us what we want or what we think that we need. But are we really asking with the right motives? Are we asking for his will? He can see the bigger picture and knows the whole plan. He is perfect and never makes mistakes. Why would we even consider that he is jipping us of something that we think we deserve?

You ask, and don't receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it for your pleasures. James 4:3

Social Status- So lets face it everyone wants to be popular and liked. We as humans are hard wired to be relational beings so If that isn't being filled we are filled with motivation to have a relationship with someone. So sometimes someone will do almost ANYTHING to be liked and accepted. So our want to be liked and well accepted can highly motivate us. - quoted from Kristen Martin

Then I observed that most people are motivated to success because they envy their neighbors. But this, too, is meaningless--like chasing the wind. Ecclesiastes 4:4

But as God tested and approved us before entrusting us with His Good News, so in what we say we are seeking not to please men but to please God, who tests and approves our motives. 1 Thessalonians 2:4
Now what?

Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. Hebrews 10:24

Let all that you do be done from motives of love. 1 Corinthians 16:14

I think those verses pretty much sum it up.

He loves you and wants to use you! Have a blessed week!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I love this, Jess! ((((())))

Janelle Martin said...

Awesome thoughts, Jess! I needed to hear this this week. Thanks for sharing. PS: I enjoyed re-reading my rambly thoughts from the other day. ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jessica. I needed this just now.

A. Ava

Natalie said...

mmmhmmm. So true! Love all of this, because I think God is more concerned with our heart's motives than outward actions.

Jennifer R said...

SOOO very true!!