Saturday, December 28, 2013

Journey to Joy


 

Joy - A feeling of great pleasure and happiness.

I have been reflecting on Joy the past few weeks. I thought I knew a lot about joy. I mean we all know that being joyful is being happy right? What I learned is I barely am scratching the surface with that. Our past couple sermons have been on Joy an really hit home. I'm excited to share what I am learning and how God is unfolding this to me.

I first took a look at some things that could be robbing me of joy.... worry, fear, jealousy, gossip/rumors, envy, comparison and perfectionism to name a few. Do I really deserve joy if I am being overcome with these feelings/emotions?  Digging a little bit deeper... are they robbing me of joy or am I just simply giving it away?

Reflecting & Decluttering

Jealousy: You are all you get to be, enjoy it!
Perfectionism: Desire to do your best & accept it as enough.
Self Hatred: Forgive yourself and move on - God has!
Gossip: If it can't be said in front of the person... don't say it.
Fear: Stop and pray before fear takes hold.
Envy: Learn to want what you have.
Comparison: Accept yourself & Appreciate Others
Worry: Add Dear Jesus & turn your fear to prayer
Negativity: Train yourself to look for the good in situations.
(Credit to At the Feet of Jesus by Joanna Weaver. An AWESOME devotional book)

After reflecting on that for a little while it really hit home. It's not that I don't have joy or reasons for joy but I am not claiming joy for my life. I have been soaking some self pity time and that my friends is selfishness at it's finest! This all couldn't have come at a better time.... The following comments are from our sermon series on joy from Adam Nagel which was such a bittersweet communion with my reflections.

We define joy as the absence of hardship.
But joy is... finding a way to be happy even when things don't go your way!
Experiencing true joy requires vulnerability.
It's not about am I right or wrong but am I engaged with the living God.
Joy is having peace.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything! James 1:2-4

I'm encouraged to know that through hard times and my imperfections persevering and choosing to have a lifestyle of joy or gratitude I will be mature and complete lacking nothing! Thank you Jesus! Claim this promise guys... it will change your life!

 
 

I've been extremely blessed to have the pleasure of having an incredible handsome man of God by my side. Encouraging me and cheering me on. He always knows what to say to make me smile and to bring out the reality in situations. He brings so much joy into my life. I will never be able to do enough to deserve the love he has for me. I am beyond blessed.


 
Sharing some special words before our wedding. We did the traditional thing of not seeing each other before I walked down the aisle. Best decision! :)



To sum it all up there is comfort in knowing that our Father knows all things. And no matter what He may take us to... He will be with us through it. Never once did we ever walk alone. Here's to holding on to these dear promises and claiming them throughout 2014.


2 comments:

Janelle Martin said...

Love the challenge, dear! I'll definitely be taking my worries and turning them into prayers. Thanks for sharing! You are absolutely glowing in that last picture! :)

Natalie said...

"It's not that I don't have joy or reasons for joy but I am not claiming joy for my life"

LOVE THIS! And how true? We're surrounded by such beauty and wonder, yet we refuse to partake in the joy to be had in such things =)