Thursday, November 29, 2012

Youth Center Update From Yours Truly.....

Life at TNT Akron has been crazy, which is normal, for those of you who don’t know. Since I’ve become a Co-Staff Leader we’ve put a lot more weight on our shoulders, but let me tell you, every bit of it has been worth it and such a blessing. Matt Fox takes care of setup and organizing the sharing times, and I, Jessica Shank, work with the communication and organizing of special events.

On November 13 we had a fall party and hay ride. The kids absolutely love this! It’s amazing to see their excitement and energy when the tractor pulls in. Then we load up and head over to the Hoover’s who so generously let us take over their back yard. Glenda Hoover baked plenty of chocolate chip cookies so that the kids could have as many as they desired. She bakes these weekly and they are always a hit. We also had a huge bonfire for them to roast hot dogs along with smores. Then we had some delicious hot chocolate and refreshing soda. The kids hung out around the bonfire, played football and wiffle ball, and hung out on the patio. Then we loaded up and had a hay ride back to the church. It’s a blessing to see the joy and happiness in these kids
I also had a chance to ask some of the kids what their favorite things about TNT are, and how it has impacted them. I wanted to share a few with you;

“Being with friends and the staff are awesome they helped me realize how important Jesus is to me.”

“You helped me a lot through my hardships and I know that everyone is there for me and I learned a lot about God and how I can go to Him when I need to find love and reassurance.”

“The best thing about TNT is coming to a place where no matter what background or lifestyle you come from you get accepted just for who you are.”
I love seeing the impact that our staff has on these kids. We have a superb team. If you’re feeling called to join our team or looking for anyway that you can help there are so many ways. For example you could be a guest speaker or have a worship night (the options are endless), donate food: sodas, hot dogs, baked goods, etc. Then there is also the option of joining our wonderful staff. It’s a lot of fun and you will be blessed! All you have to do is come out and love on these kids, give them attention, let them know that they are important, and share God’s grace. One of the staff said, “TNT is one of my favorite nights of the week. I love to come hang out and build friendships with the kids. They are always full of energy which always leads to a very entertaining night.” Thanks for all the support especially the prayers they are definitely felt!



Blessings to you!

No comments: