Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Ask & It Shall Be Given

I often have a hard time asking for help, even if I decide that it's not a selfish desire. I was challenged by this a little while ago. I hope you are blessed and touched by this too.

Acts 3 is the perfect example. The faith of asking. I mean can you imagine having to be a beggar? To sit down and ask people for change? How would that make you feel? So here this beggar sits and starting in vs. 3 it says... When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

Not ONLY did he ask.... but he also was expecting! The story goes on to say that Peter and John tell him that they don't have money but they heal him instead. They knew that money wouldn't really benefit the beggar anyway.

vs 8 He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God.  When all the people saw this they were filled with wonder and amazement at what happened to him. So they were giving him far more than what he had asked for. He was now able to walk AND he had a testimony!

It's really easy for us to miss what we really should be asking for. There are so many people today that can see, yet they are so blind. Life isn't always easy and we won't always know which way to go but we need to keep on keeping on. We can't be afraid to ask. If your heart is hungry feed it, don't starve it.

We need to be expecting the unexpected. It's hard to believe in this day and age that our country is going through a lot and we don't really know what could happen in our future. Am I really trusting God and expecting to get what I am asking for? Am I even asking??? Am I scared to ask out of fear of not receiving? Time and time again we get upset when we think God doesn't give us what we think we need. Our needs are greater than what we can see.

So here's my little reminder to ask for the BIG stuff!! :) 

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anyhing in my name, and I will do it. John 14:12-14

Happy Wednesday!

Jess


PS A lot of these comments came from Roy Hoover during a biblestudy last year.

2 comments:

Janelle Martin said...

Two posts in a week. I'm impressed! :) Loved this part: "Am I really trusting God and expecting to get what I am asking for? Am I even asking??? Am I scared to ask out of fear of not receiving? Time and time again we get upset when we think God doesn't give us what we think we need. Our needs are greater than what we can see." I so needed to hear that tonight! Much love, dear friend.

Natalie said...

I so struggle with the expectancy thing, but your post today was fresh encouragement that I've been needing this week =)